Signs That AC Repair or Replacement May Be Needed
When the weather is hot and humid, people need a cool and comfortable house to return to. But, if they return home to find a hot and stuffy house, it can be an obvious sign that they have a broken air conditioner.
Now the household needs emergency repairs – or even a replacement – to get the system up and running again quickly. To avoid these issues, homeowners must listen and watch for specific symptoms that indicate they need air conditioning repair or replacement to avoid getting stuck waiting with no AC.
House Is Not Getting Cool Enough
When a house isn’t cooling off enough or has inconsistent temperatures, even when the air conditioner is running, it can signal an issue with an AC unit. Some possible causes can include:
- AC is the wrong size: If the air conditioner is too small or underpowered for the size of the house, it may struggle to cool the space adequately.
- Clogged air filters: If air filters are dirty or clogged, they can restrict the airflow and reduce the cooling.
- Refrigerant leak: Refrigerant is the substance that helps the air in the air conditioner become cool. The AC system cannot properly cool a house if there is not enough due to a leak.
- Faulty compressor: The compressor, which circulates the refrigerant and facilitates cooling, can lead to poor cooling performance if it’s not working correctly.
- Blocked condenser unit: If the condenser unit is obstructed by debris, dirt, or vegetation, it can cause the air conditioner to struggle to cool the house.
- Ductwork issues: Problems with the ductwork, such as leaks, disconnected ducts, or insufficient insulation, can result in cooled air escaping before it reaches the intended rooms.
High Energy Bills
As air conditioners age and near the end of their lifespans, which can be between 10 and 20 years, they can stop operating efficiently, resulting in higher energy consumption and cooling costs. High energy bills and inefficiency can also result from something wrong in the system, like a broken or worn down part. The unit may run longer or cycle on and off frequently as it tries to cool the house, but without fixing the issue, it will consume more power and cause higher energy bills.
Failing to maintain an air conditioner correctly can also result in more energy being used and higher cooling costs. A lack of routine AC maintenance can prevent the air filter from being changed as often as needed and prevent experts from performing essential tasks like checking the refrigerant levels and ensuring all the components are working correctly.
Strange Noises & Bad Smells
If homeowners hear strange sounds or foul odors from their air conditioner or air ducts, it can signal they need air conditioning repairs or AC replacement. A burning smell from the system can indicate serious issues like an overheating AC or one experiencing electrical issues. A chemical or sweet smell can indicate a refrigerant leak and musty odors can result from mold growth inside the unit or air ducts.
Some common sounds property owners might hear can include:
- Grinding or squealing noises: These noises often indicate a problem with the air conditioner’s motor or fan bearings.
- Banging or clanking noises: These loud and sudden noises may indicate loose or broken components within the air conditioner. It could also be a sign of a loose fan blade, a broken compressor, or a damaged connecting rod.
- Hissing or bubbling noises: Hissing or bubbling sounds can indicate a refrigerant leak.
- Clicking or rattling noises: Clicking sounds when the AC turns on or off is typically expected. However, persistent or excessive clicking or rattling noises could indicate loose or faulty electrical components, loose panels, or debris trapped within the system.
- Whistling or whirring noises: Whistling or whirring sounds often point to issues with airflow, such as a clogged air filter, blocked ducts, or a malfunctioning blower fan.
About Air Mavericks
Air Mavericks is a family-owned and operated business serving St. Petersburg and the surrounding areas. They provide same-day service, 24/7 live answers, and financing. Call them today for air conditioning repair services in St. Petersburg, FL.